South Russia, 5000 Rubles 1919

yb03-0101_f_600x600
yb03-0101_f_600x600yb03-0101_b_600x600


CATALOG INFORMATION
ID Number: YB03-0101
Category: Paper Money
Description: South Russia, 5000 Rubles 1919
Country or State: South Russia
Year: 1919
Period:  
Head of State/Ruler:  
Reign:  
Currency: Roubles
Face Value: 5000 Roubles
Subject/Theme:  
Obverse: St George stands with a shield and cityscape behind
Obverse Legend:  
Obverse Designer:  
Reverse: Double ehaded eagle and the head of Mercury
Reverse Legend:  
Reverse Designer:  
Edge:  
Note:  
Dimensions (B x H): 225 x 115 mm, They're quite large (9" x 4")
Krause Catalog Number:  
Other Catalog Number: PS419d
State of Conservation: Uncirculated (UNC)
Rarity:  
   

CATALOG VALUE
Uncirculated (Unc) € -
Extremely Fine (XF) € -
Very Fine (VF) € -
Fine (F) € -
Very Good (VG) € -
Good (G) € -
Poor (P) € -
   

HISTORICAL NOTES

These 5000 roubles were issued in 1919 in South Russia. After the Russian Revolution, many areas of the country issued their own notes. South Russia, under the command of General Denikin and the notes were issued by the High Command of the Armed Forces

As is represented on the note itself, this is 5000 Russian Rubles from a series 1919 printing. It comes from the Rostov on Don region (Russian: Rostov-na-Donu), which is in Southern Russia.

The mouth of the Don River has been of great commercial and cultural importance since the ancient times. It was the site of the Greek colony Tanais, of the Genoese fort Tana, and of the Turkish fortress Azov.

Rostov-on-Don was in essence established in 1749, as a customs house was built on the Don, and soon a large fortress followed. It was named after Saint Dimitry of Rostov, a newly-glorified bishop from the old Northern town Rostov the Great. As Azov gradually declined, a settlement near the new fortress superseded it in importance as a chief commercial centre of the region. In 1796 this settlement received town rights and was renamed Rostov-on-Don, in order to distinguish it from its ancient namesake.

The Don River that the city is named for is a major shipping lane connecting southwestern Russia with regions to the north, and Rostov-on-Don is an important river port in both passenger-oriented and industrial shipping. With such a good geographical position, the city grew rapidly. As the most heavily industrialized city of South Russia, it was a bone of contention between the Whites and the Bolsheviks during the Civil War. By 1928, the regional government was moved from the old Cossack capital Novocherkassk to Rostov, which also engulfed the nearby Armenian town of Nakhichevan-on-Don.

In the Soviet years, the Bolsheviks demolished two of Rostov's principal landmarks - St Alexander Nevsky Cathedral (1908) and St George Cathedral in Nakhichevan (1783-1807). Much of the city was reduced to rubble by the German forces who occupied it thrice - in 1918, 1941 and 1942. Nowadays, the most conspicuous feature of the downtown is the enormous Cathedral of Virgin's Nativity (1860-87), designed by Konstantin Thon.

The city was also the home of Russia's most notorious serial killer Andrei Chikatilo (though he was not actually born there).

Rostov-on-Don has experienced considerable economic growth in recent years, as the Russian economy recovers nationwide. Numerous start-up companies have established headquarters in the city, the median income is increasing, and the city is being transformed from a place thrown back in time by the collapse of communism into a modern, industrial and technology-rich hub.